Dan is consider the “joke character” of the game but he can do very good against most characters with his good damaging combos, a safe pressure move against anyone who can’t punish -2 on block, great back dash, and a solid anti air.
- Close Standing Medium Punch
Good for to frame trap them or for tick throws.
- Close Standing Hard Punch
Can be used to link into Hard Koryuken or Hard Dankukyaku.
- Standing Medium Kick
It can be used to counter poke the opponents crouching attacks.
- Close Standing Hard Kick
Main combo starter. Link Hard Kick into Standing Medium Punch or Hard Dankukyaku.
- Crouching Light Punch
Good to push opponent off.
- Crouching Medium Kick
Good counter poking tool to stop opponents crouching attacks.
- Crouching Hard Kick
Slow start up but can stop opponents crouching kicks. 10 Frame start up and -6 on block.
- Jumping Forward/Back Medium Kick
Good cross over.
- Jumping Forward/Back Hard Kick
Good jump in and does 100 damage.
- Hard Koryuken
Good anti air. 4 Frame start up, 100 damage, and 100 stun.
- Ex Koryuken
It has more invincibility but you have to make sure it hits deep to get the 2 hits for more damage than Hard version.
- Crouching Hard Punch
Decent anti air but trades with most jump ins.
- Ultra 1
Decent anti air if you have ultra and know they are going to jump. 10 Frame start up, and 465 damage.
- Down, Down Forward, Forward + any Punch
Decent projectile that can be used as a poke, to get in past projectiles, or meter building. Light version travels the smallest distance and fastest recovery. Medium version goes a little bit more but recovers 1 frame slower. Hard version goes a little bit more but recovers 2 frame slower than light. Ex version goes farthest and recovers the same as the Light version and is +3 on block and +6 on hit.
- Forward, Down, Down Forward + any Punch
Main anti air. Hard version does most damage and has the 2nd most invincibility with the Ex version having most invincibility but less damage than the Hard version.
- Down, Down Back, Back + any Kick
Dan’s best move. It armor breaks, does good damage, and moves Dan toward the opponent for his mix up game. Light version is 0 on block. Medium and Hard are -2 on block. Ex version is -3 but has fastest start up.
- Hissho Buraiken , Down, Down Forward, Forward, Down, Down Forward, Forward + any Punch
Decent super that is easy to combo into but just make sure you are really close otherwise some hits will miss.
- Legendary Taunt, Down, Down Forward, Forward, Down, Down Forward, Forward + Hard Punch and Hard Kick
You can cancel a special move into this super which can be canceled into ultra 1.
- Ultra 1, Shisso Burakien, Down, Down Forward, Forward,Down, Down Forward, Forward + all three Punches
Good to go through projectiles and possible use of anti air. 10 Frame start up.
- Ultra 2, Haoh Gadouken, Down, Down Forward, Forward,Down, Down Forward, Forward all three Kicks
Good to use after Koryuken FADC. 15 Frame start up.
All these work with most jump ins such as Jumping Hard Kick or Hard Punch
- Crouching Medium Kick cancel into Hard Gadouken
Decent combo that is safe.
Hit Confirm Combos
These combos are best used from a really close distance to the opponent and will give you time to see if your hit connects to do the appropriate special move.
- Crouching Light Punch, Crouching Light Punch, Standing Light Punch, Standing Light Punch, Standing Light Kick
- Close Standing Medium Punch, Crouching Medium Punch cancel into Hard Gadouken
- Crouching Light Kick, Close Standing Light Kick, Crouching Medium Punch cancel into Ex Dankukyaku
- Close Standing Hard Kick, Close Standing Medium Punch cancel into Hard Dankukyaku
- Close Standing Hard Kick, Close Standing Medium Punch, Crouching Medium Punch cancel into Hard Gadouken
- Hard Koryuken FADC Netraul Jump Hard Punch
These will be your high damage hard hitting punishment combos. You want to use these when the opponent makes a mistake that is big enough for the particular punish.
-4 Frames or more
- Crouching Light Punch or Standing Light Punch cancel into Light Machine Gun Blow
- Rocket Upper
- Hard Jet Upper or Ex Jet Upper
Depending on the range is what you should use.
-4 Frames or More
- Hard Koryuken or Crouching/Standing Light Punch combo
-8 Frames or more
- Close Standing Hard Kick combo
-10 Frames or more
- Ultra 1
Combos Into Ultra
Usually if you are behind on life you will need to land Ultra when possible to gain the lead. Also anytime when presented that you can land Ultra in a under half health situation is always good.
- Focus Attack crumble dash then Ultra
- Koryuken FADC Ultra 2
- Close Standing Medium Punch, Crouching Medium Punch, Ex Gadouken FADC Ultra 1
The Dan Trap
The normal version of Dankukyaku allows Dan to mix people up by using different versions like use the Hard version then throw them after they block it then use the Light version after and the opponent might think it is going to be 3 hit but its only 1 then throw them again. Also after doing the Hard version if your opponent thinks your going to throw them again then you use Hard Koryuken if they try to back dash next time Crouching Hard Kick them. If they try to use a move that has a lot of invincibility then you just block or back dash it.
How to beat Dan