Gouken’s a hard hitting zoning character with high stun combos and decent mix ups. His wake up game may be weak but his strengths really make him stand out.
- Standing Light Punch
Special cancelable and fast.
- Close Standing Medium Punch
Special cancelable normal, +7 on hit +4 on block. One of his strongest normals.
- Far Medium Punch
Great range and good poke.
- Close/Far Standing Hard Punch
Strong poke from far and up close it is best used as punishment.
- Standing Light Kick
Excellent space builder as used during a long string. Example, Cr lp cr lp cr lp St Lk, or cr lp cr lp st lk cr lk.
- Close Standing Medium Kick
Excellent when used for pressure because of very little push back. For example, cornered opponent Cl Mk, Lp Gohadoken, Cl Mk etc Not a true block string but against characters with weaker reversals it’s extremely good.
- Crouching Light Punch
Fast special cancelable normal.
- Crouching Medium Punch
Really good normal, special cancelable and it hits low. You can combo Cr Mp into Mp Senkugoshoha or use it to pressure with Lp GoHadoken,when safe, as this will not connect.
- Crouching Hard Punch
Strong anti air and combo normal.
- Crouching Light Kick
Far reaching and special cancelable
- Crouching Medium Kick
Strange angle anti air.
- Crouching Hard Kick
Hard knock down and can be combo’d into from Cl Mp
- Jumping Forward/Back Medium Punch
Two hit air normal that is special cancelable after the first hit. You can go into Tatsumaki Gorasen after the first hit or get both hits then try to connect jump back HK. If you only land one hit of it in as an air to air you can pretty much hit then opponent with anything after. The best choice often being Cr HK for the hard knock down.
- Jumping Forward/Back Hard Punch
This is really good as a jump in.
- Jumping Forward Medium Kick
- Jumping Forward/Back Hard Kick
Good air to air
- Forward + Medium Punch
Gouken’s standing overhead.
- At the Peak of Forward Jump, Down + Medium Kick
- Crouching Hard Punch
- Crouching Medium Kick, best used in corner
- Close Hard Punch, best used against empty jump cross overs
- Close Hard Kick, used at extremly close jump in angles like a neutral jump
- Hard Punch Hyakkishu
- Medium Punch Gohadoken or Hard Punch Gohadoken potential follow up Hard Punch Senkugoshoha
- Ex Tatsumaki Gorasen
- Ultra 1
- Jump Forward/Back Mp, one hit of Mp canceled into Tatsumaki
Gouken’s Projectile, it’s very good in a fireball war and controlling space. Light punch goes straight forward, Medium punch at a slight upward angle and Hard punch at an even higher one.
Ex GoHadoken shoots one fireball horizontally like Light punch’s and another fireball at a 45 degree angle.
Useful for passing through projectiles and punishing attacks from a distance.
The EX version is two hits, and you can FADC the first hit to extend the combo. Example, Ex Senkugoshoha FADC Dash Cr Hk
Used as a Combo ender. Can be done in the air.
Gouken’s Demon flip. These are the follow ups.
- Press Nothing: Sweep
- Punch: Air Parry, will absorb most attacks.
- Kick: Dive Kick attack.
- Throw: Air Grab.
Ex Hyakkishu has invulnerable frames on the way up.
- Back, Down, Down Back + Any Punch
Counter move, depending on the strength of the button, Gouken counters different attacks. Light punch counters low attacks, Medium counters mid attacks and Hard punch counters high attacks,
Ex Kongoshin counters everything.
Both of these counters lose to armor breaking attacks.
Ultra 1 – Shin Shoryuken
Ultra 2 – Denjin Hadouken
Most of these work with most jump ins such as Jumping Hard Kick or Hard Punch
- Close Hp, Lp GoHadoken
- Close Hp, Hp Senkugoshoha
- Close Mp, Lp Gohadoken, Crouching Hk
- Close Mp, Crouching Hp Ex Senkugoshoha dash forward Crouching Hk
- Close Mp, Crouching Hp cancel into any comboing special. Also Super.
- Back Throw, Jump Forward 1 hit of J Mp then Cr Hk
- Back Throw, Tatsumaki Gorasen
Hit Confirm Combos
These combos are best used from a really close distance to the opponent and will give you time to see if your hit connects to do the appropriate special move.
- Cr lp, Cr lp, Stand Lk, Cr lk
- Close St Mp, Cr Hp
- Close St Mp, Cr Hk
- Close St Lp, Close St Mk
These will be your high damage hard hitting punishment combos. You want to use these when the opponent makes a mistake that is big enough for the particular punish.
-3 Frames or more
- Forbidden Shoryuken
-4 Frames or more
- Crouching Light Punch cancel into Lp Senkugoshoha or any string ending with Cr Lk to coutinue pressure by special canceling it into Hyakkishu.
-5 Frames or More
- Close Standing Medium Punch into Cr Hp then Senkugoshoha/Super/Ex etc
-6 Frames or more
- Crouching Hk or Hp, preferably Cr Hk becuase of it’s range and hard knock down.
-10,-11 Frames or more
- Ultra 1
Combos Into Ultra
- Jump in Hard Punch then Ultra
- Focus Attack crumble dash then Ultra
- Back Throw then Ultra
- Corner only Ex Senkugoshoha Ultra
- Corner only Ex Senkugoshoha, Hp Gohadoken, Lp Gohadoken, Lp Senkugoshoha, Ultra 2
- Ex Senkugoshoha FADC Ultra 1
- Anti Air Medium/Hard Gohadoken then Ultra 2
How to beat Gouken